To provide services which advocate for strengthening and preserving the individual and the family. A belief we’ve held firm for the past 100 years and will continue well into the future.
In 1902, Associated Charities came into existence through Mrs. Dwight B. (Maie Bartlett) Heard.
Through Mrs. Heard’s efforts and those of many others, the Maricopa Health Center merged with Associated Charities in 1923 to become the Social Service Center of Phoenix. Until 1946, virtually all the welfare services and medical care in the city and the metropolitan area came from this agency. Financial support came from the Board of Public Charities of the City of Phoenix, the Board of Supervisors of Maricopa County, the Red Cross, donations, and from the Community Chest after it’s formation in 1926.
Funds received were used for direct relief, family counseling, and extensive medical services involving the operation of nearly a dozen free clinics. In 1944, after a joint study with the Community Council, the Agency began a three-year demonstration project of a visiting nurse service, culminating in the establishment of the Visiting Nurse Service in 1948.
In 1948 the City of Phoenix made the decision to stop funding the Board of Public Charities. Consequently, the Community Council was asked to assist in the study and formulation of future plans for the Agency. It recommended that: “The Social Service Center of Phoenix continue in family welfare work to serve the needs of individuals who could not qualify for help at the Jewish, Catholic, County or other welfare agencies.”
In order to more accurately reflect the programs and services of the agency (i.e. services provided to unmarried mothers; the adoption of children; foster home care; transients, family counseling and specialized welfare services), the name was changed from the Social Service Center of Phoenix to Family Service of Phoenix in 1951.
The Agency became a member of Valley of the Sun and Mesa United Ways in 1951 and 1954, respectively. In 1956, after more than 25 years in its building at 702 East Adams, the Agency moved to 808 North Second Avenue. We moved again to 1530 East Flower in 1964.
In 1978, because the agency began to serve all of Maricopa County, our name was broadened from Family Service of Phoenix to Family Service Agency.
Currently, FSA provides a continuum of care for our clients and their families, offering a full range of behavioral health services.
The assurance of our high standards is reflected in the Agency’s rejoining Family Services of America (formerly Family Service Association of America) in 1956 (it was one of the 26 original members back in 1911), through our acceptance into provisional membership in the Child Welfare League of America in 1967, and our full accreditation in 1970 by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children.
Paul Rodriguez | Chairman of the Board
Jeff Goeson | Vice Chair/Treasurer
Milton Masson | Member
Dee Saager | Member
Clarice Parham | President & CEO
Clarice Parham | President & CEO
Vern Brown | Chief Financial Officer
Shawn Smith | Director of Operations
Andrea March | Interim Clinical Director
Blake Hobby | HR/Communications Director
Soraida Durazo | Systems Operations Manager
Rosanna Hanley | Central Clinical Supervisor
Andrea March | Metro Clinical Supervisor
June Hobby | Medical Records/Digital Media Manager
Brandon A.Vaz | Executive Administrative Assistant