History

1902

viance-favicon

Originally called Associated Charities, our existence was largely the result of the leadership and support of Mrs. Dwight B. (Maie

1911

IMG_20150303_0022

We become a founding member of The Alliance for Children & Families and remain represented in membership to this day,

1923

800px-Phoenix1908

Through Mrs. Heard’s efforts and those of many others, the Maricopa Health Center merged with Associated Charities to become the

1935

5708233

The Maricopa Medical Center merged with FSA, later to become their own distinct entity. In that same decade we founded

1944

IMG_20150303_0017

After a joint study was made with the Community Council, the agency conducted a 3-year demonstration project of a visiting

1945

Cute, dressed up little girl looking up at camera in fall

The Adoption Program was established

1945

kj-dfskjdfsglkjnds

Virtually all the welfare services and medical care in the city and the metropolitan area came from our agency.

1948

IMG_20150303_0012

The City of Phoenix made a decision to stop funding the Board of Public Charities, consequently The Social Service Center

1951

big-logo-white

With the continuation of programs after the withdrawal of city funds, and to more adequately reflect the programs and services

1954

Family Service of Phoenix becomes a member of Mesa United Ways

1956

IMG_20150303_0023

After more than 25 years in the 702 East Adams building, the agency moved to 808 North Second Avenue.

1964

IMG_20150303_0001

The agency moves to it’s present building at 1530 East Flower Street

1970

Young Latina Girl

The agency became a fully accredited member in the Child Welfare League of America

1973

Family-Photo

Family Connection (formerly called Infant Home Day Care) was started

1978

big-full-logo-white

Family Service of Phoenix changes it’s name to become Family Service Agency since the services provided extend well beyond Phoenix

1985

IMG_20150303_0016

Employer-Supported Child Care Resource and Referral began as well as a variety of employee assistance programs through Family Service America

1994

The agency merges with another nonprofit agency “Center for New Directions” the mission of which is “to prepare the displaced

2004

viance-white

Family Service Agency moved to 411 North Central Avenue

2015

We have proudly served our community for over 100 years, offer a holistic approach to social services, and are dedicated

2007

viance-white

The agency moved to our present location at 2400 North Central Ave.